Happy Sunday, everyone !
To stay on track with this month’s theme of spending less, I wanted to share some tips on how to save money on food throughout the week. Food is definitely an area that is easy to splurge on. With a busy schedule it can be very easy to stop for quick meals on the go, but this can add up fast. It is also very common to default to unhealthy foods because we have less time to think about what we are eating. To avoid these scenarios, I’ve provided 5 tips for saving money on food (and selecting healthier options) that you can incorporate into your daily routine:
- Meal prep – I cannot stress how beneficial this one is. Meal prep sounds intimidating and time consuming, but it really isn’t that difficult since you are cooking everything in bulk and just dividing among multiple servings. This definitely saves time and worry throughout the week and you will be much less likely to eat out if you have a (healthy) meal waiting for you at home.
- Healthy party appetizers – One way to make the most of the food that you buy is to think ahead. For example, if you are throwing a party, you should make sure to include some healthy appetizers in the mix. This way, you will have healthy snacks left over for the week instead of just chips and queso (or any other unhealthy party snack).
- Bring your own – Do you find yourself spending a ton of money on coffee or other novelty drinks throughout the day ? A lot of people do this throughout the work week. One way to cut down on this or perhaps replace with a cheaper option would be to bring your own teas/coffee to work. This will save a lot of money in the long run, as buying a bag of coffee is actually much cheaper than purchasing separately from a cafe. You could even go as far as to bring your own coffee maker to work if that is allowed.
- Grocery shopping – It can be really helpful to go to the grocery store once a week to stock up on everything that you need. This limits the number of trips you make to the store so that you do not end up purchasing things that you really don’t need. When going to the grocery store it is also really important to bring some sort of list. This helps to prevent the purchasing of unnecessary items.
- No waste – Make sure to eat everything you buy. It is really important to not let the food in your refrigerator go to waste – not only is this food that someone else could have used, but it is also a waste of money. If everyone challenged themselves to eat everything that they bought from the grocery store without letting anything go to waste, a lot of money would likely be saved.
I really hope that these tips were useful – these are just some of the practices that I’ve implemented to not only save money, but also live a healthy lifestyle. If you have any suggestions, tips or tricks, please share in the comments.
Have a great week !